Friday, June 5, 2009

Another Down Weekend

It's another less-than-phenomenal slate between the ropes this weekend, but I look forward to seeing Saúl Álvarez on Saturday in Cancún. Álvarez has a world of experience despite his youth, and he's a dynamic offensive fighter, but I saw a couple of things that were worrying in his last time out against Michel Rosales. Namely, he got tired early, ate a lot of shots, and seemed to rely on one power shot at a time rather than building an offensive strategy. It was just one fight, but it made me wonder if he is a guy who could get outworked by someone less talented, and lose a fight he should win. Unfortunately, I don't think Saturday's opponent --untested Jefferson Luis Goncalo-- will provide much of a measuring stick, but it should be entertaining. I'll take Álvarez by mid-round knockout.

Also, Steve Kim had a couple of interesting columns about the decline of the African-American boxing fan base this week.

No comments: