Friday, December 11, 2009

Prognostications

Boxing Santa came a few weeks early, leaving us a veritable feast of enticing fisticuffs this weekend. To the picks!

Tonight, I like Jean Pascal over Adrian Diaconu by competitive decision in the rematch of a fight Pascal won by decision a few months ago. In Switzerland tomorrow, I have to take Vitali Klitschko over American Kevin Johnson, by a dominating decision. In Chicago, I'll take Juan Diaz over Paulie Malignaggi in a rematch of Diaz's controversial decision this summer. On the undercard, I like Victor Ortiz to bounce back from his KO loss to Marco Maidana with a knockout of Antonio Diaz. In California, I'll take Lamont Peterson in a mild upset of Tim Bradley by decision, though if Bradley fights as he was during the early rounds of the Campbell fight, he could certainly take it. I just think Peterson, though untested, is really, really good (I'm not sure he's decisively lost more than four or five rounds in his career), and will be too much for Bradley. On the undercard, I'll take Vic Darchinyan by stoppage of Tomás Rojas.

Lastly, shame on the Justice Department for not supporting the posthumous pardon of heavyweight champ Jack Johnson, who was convicted of taking a white woman across state lines in 1913, a violation of the Mann Act.

No comments: