Friday, December 18, 2009

Last Card of the Year

In what I believe is the last significant fight card of 2009, I like Humberto Soto to pull out a decision over Jesús Chávez (although an injury-induced stoppage of the latter is not out of the question), and I'll take Kelly Pavlik to fight through some early rust and win via mid-round KO.

As long as we're on boxing, this story from Larry Holmes, courtesy of Dan Rafael, is great:
I knew that I couldn't beat Mike Tyson. But again, Don King calls. I was off two years with my band, traveling around with Kool and the Gang, the Temptations, singing ding ding ding, you know? And drinking them Budweisers and stuff like that. And (a) knock on the door, Don King, 3 o'clock in the morning. 'Larry, open the door.' (I said), 'Well, what are you doing, man?' (King said), 'I want you to fight Mike Tyson.' (I said), 'You must be crazy. I can't beat Mike Tyson. I ain't did nothing for two years.' (King said). 'It's $3.5 million dollars.' I said, 'Well, come on in.' He said, 'But you got two months to get ready for the fight.' I have two months? I said, 'Man, two months?' He said, 'Well, you have $3.5 million.' And I said, 'I can't beat Mike Tyson in two months, man.' (King said), 'Here is $500,000 cash.' I said, 'OK.'

No comments: