Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Who Cares if the PRI Wins?

Felipe Calderón, interviewed by Joaquín López Dóriga last night:
“You have to distinguish. I am absolutely not worried about losing power, because that's precisely, when the citizens decide it, the key to democracy: may the citizens determine who wins.

"What would always worry me is not the changeovers or not of parties, whether one stays or another comes in. What would be worrying is the return of authoritarian and unfair practices that did a great deal of damage to Mexican democracy, and that can come back, because we have to look at the world, countries that have become democracies suddenly suffer authoritarian slips and in Mexico that is what we must avoid."

In a television interview with Joaquín López-Dóriga, upon being asked if unlike Vicente Fox, who removed the PRI from Los Pinos, he is worried about going into history as the man that returned that party to the presidency, the executive responded: "That is not an issue of concern for me, who wins or not, in terms of the party, I repeat, my worry is in political terms. What is the democratic quality of Mexico? For that reason, of course, I celebrated when the political reform initiative that I presented, finally, has been partially approved by the Senate".
Though not approved in the Chamber of Deputies, which must make the celebration a subdued one.

Anyway, I think that's an appropriate outlook on the return of the PRI. Hopefully, the lack of hysteria will persist even if Peña Nieto wins.

No comments: