Friday, April 24, 2009

A Little More on Yesterday's Legislation

I mentioned yesterday's changes to the Federal Police earlier today, and here's a bit more (in Spanish), and still more here (in English, at Mexfiles). The gist is that the PFP will have more power to gather information, including phone taps, and set up sting operations, and will also drop the first P from its name. The goal is that this new body would replace the army as the lead agency in anti-drug combat. It remains unclear to me what would happen to the AFI, if it would be folded into the new Federal Police, as some have been proposing for years, or if it would coexist. Because the AFI has more of those investigatory powers, it seems more logical that it's the former, but the commentary I've seen has referred to it replacing only the PFP. 

I have no special opinion about this right now. Maybe that's because it's Friday afternoon, and tomorrow I'll wake up spitting wisdom like Jay-Z does rhymes. 

No comments: