Friday, March 13, 2009

Hyperbole

It's a second Christmas for my friend Erik: the NFL draft season! Checking out the mocks, this graph from Mel Kiper jumped out at me (I feel like draft gurus use snappy buzzwords like "mocks" and "graph." Even if I'm incorrect, I shall do the same when talking about the draft):
6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1)

Kiper pick: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
-- The stress fracture in his left foot shouldn't affect his draft status. He's a big-time player who should have a Larry Fitzgerald-type career in the NFL.
Wait a second. Fitzgerald just had perhaps the greatest postseason of any player in history. He is hands down the best wide receiver in the game, and without a Cardinals' running game to draw the defense up to the line of scrimmage. With the possible exception of Adrian Peterson, he's the most dangerous skill player in the league. I'd say he has a decent shot at becoming the greatest wideout since Jerry Rice. If Crabtree "should have a Larry Fitzgerald-type career", why is he going sixth? Shouldn't he go higher? Like maybe first? Or did "-type" turn into a de-intensifying modifier without me realizing?

No comments: