Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rivalry

The US-Mexico (7 p.m. EST) game makes me feel like I'm watching the stepchildren with whom I live against my children, from whom I'm estranged. I know the Mexican league and its players better, and Donovan's a pain, but whatever our problems, I have to root for my blood. Also, I love watching Altidore; he's someone who I'd feel comfortable being the face of the team until around 2023 or so. [Stopping to sing the first few bars of the national anthem...all done.] In the very un-Mexican Midwestern winter, there's no way Altidore and co. drop a meaningful game.

Rumors: Sven-Goran Eriksson could be headed back to England, to Portsmouth. So close to the World Cup, that would throw the Mexican team into chaos, but it would be a blessing in disguise. There's no way this team is going anywhere with Eriksson. El Tri has played miserably in virtually every game since he's been here.

No comments: