Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bad Networks

I always seem to miss the big Super Bowl moments peripheral the game itself; I missed Janet Jackson, and I missed...actually Jackson's wardrobe is the only thing I can come up with, which makes for a pretty lame trend. Whatever.

This year, the Mexican broadcast earned controversy for interrupting the action to air now-mandatory electoral spots (starting on January 31st, 48 minutes of every day must be given to the parties). The controversy stems from viewers' anger that the games they were watching were interrupted without warning. I noticed the spots, but, as with Janet Jackson, I missed the cause of all the uproar; I don't ever remember seeing a play be diverted to the electoral ad. More info here.

Everyone here, from the independent electoral authority to the parties, is blaming the broadcasters for the spots, and since Televisa and TV Azteca aren't denying it, that seems logical. But it's kind of odd that, of its own volition, the networks would both decide to interrupt highly rated programs (soccer games were also affected) to squeeze in the spots. I guess they would do so to maximize the advertising revenue during the regularly scheduled breaks in the action, but how is it in their interest to alienate all of their viewers? The broadcast TV oligopoly explains part of it, but Mexicans have as many cable options as other nations' citizens, so that seems like a really short-sighted decision from the networks.

Also, Joe Montana was the guest expert for the Televisa broadcast. I couldn't help but feel a little sorry that most people's greatest QB ever can't even land a gig on a network in his own language, much less his own country.

No comments: