Sunday, November 30, 2008

More on Lane

My brother Matt defends Lane Kiffin's hiring: 
I don't really see him as an NFL guy, though, more of a young bad-ass from USC. He must have learned something from the NFL experience, despite Davis, but more than anything I like that he's got experience with a winning college program and has the offensive side of the football down. He'll be able to recruit in SoCal and if we can keep Chavis, you can see us getting back on the right track pretty quickly.

As far as the rest of it - the leadership, dealing with alumni, the press and running a major program - it'll fall into place. Just win, baby. Anyone with the right personality and a little charisma can take care of the rest. It may be something of a gamble, but it's got a big upside.
I guess Chavis won't be sticking around, but Manning agrees with Matt on the hiring. Taken together, their word is gospel on this frontier. I feel slightly better now.

I wonder how many third-rate Knoxville paraphernalia shops are planning some cheesy "Life in the Fast Lane" tee shirts right now. I'm guessing one or two. 

No comments: