Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Interest vs. Morality! Coates Refereeing! Today, on The Atlantic!

Ta-Nehisi Coates had an interesting meditation yesterday on whether it's morality or interest that makes one group support the advancement of another (i.e., northern whites in the '60s backing civil rights). He says it's all about interest.
Perhaps, I define "interest" too broadly. I include in that definition, not simply your short and long-term well being, but how you want to live your life. I hear people say that they support "black issues" even when they aren't in their interest. Hmm, I guess. But that's like saying it wasn't in my interest to be a writer. I should have gone to law school. Certainly I would have made more money. But I include in my interest what I want to see out the world, what makes me happy, what makes me smile, what I like and love. I guess it's not in my interest to spend a whole day watching football games--I could be making money. But it certainly makes me happy.
I'm not sure he defines "interest" too broadly per se, but there is a point where it's impossible not to conflate the two, and Coates is way past said point with his football analogy, and probably his law school analogy, too.

No comments: