Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Murdered Witness

A protected witness for the PGR was gunned down in a Starbucks in Mexico City yesterday. He is the second protected witness to die in recent days (the first having hanged himself two weeks ago). Both witnesses had information incriminating members of Ismael Zambada's gang.

Not to make this all about me, but coincidentally, I believe this is a Starbucks where, before a job interview in 2006, I passed out and hit my head on the sink in the bathroom. (It was a freak incident owing to dehydration and altitude.) I participated in the meeting with a gigantic lump on my forehead and blood trickling down into my eyes, much like Ivan Calderón in the first Rodel Mayol bout. The woman interviewing kept asking, Are you sure you feel up to this? I did not get the job.

2 comments:

David Agren said...

You passed out in this Starbucks? Whoa! I actually used to live 100 meters from this place and would sometimes write my stories there. (I stopped going by because the Internet service was spotty.) Of all the places for hit, though. Employees at this del Valle Starbucks say its the company's most location in Latin America.

pc said...

Yeah it was one of the single weirdest experiences of my life. The woman probably thought I was an addict or something.

I always had a hard time with the internet in Starbucks in Mexico City, regardless of the location. I cant remember exactly why, but they have like a weird block on them or something like that sometimes, right?