Thursday, July 2, 2009

Today in Self-Awareness

From a recent story on el Peje:
Andrés Manuel López Obrador accused the political class that holds power in Mexico of "being rotten, of being a bunch of idiots" to say it with more clarity.

Power, he said, "has made them idiots, because power makes the intelligent dumb and makes the dumb crazy."
Carlos Loret offered a coincidental but timely rejoinder in his column yesterday, which was titled, "The ten privileges of being Andrés Manuel". My favorite is the third:
Being able to say that the mafia in Mexico is dominated by the former president Carlos Salinas and his allies... while he is completely surrounded by people that were with Salinas!: Manuel Camacho was his foreign minister, Arturo Núñez his director of the IFE, Dante Delgado his governor of Veracruz, Alberto Anaya the one who gave him a party with family money, José Guadarrama his favorite electoral operator, et cetera.

3 comments:

jd said...

Loret sometimes has a decent point but for some reason his columns usually make me vaguely uncomfortable. I think his cynical schtick rings too falsely populist. There was some feature on him (you might have linked to it) in a glossy mag a few months back - he's obviously very image-conscious, but I can never tell what issues the guy is passionate about. For cynicism - which is obviously warranted with regard to Mexico and for politics all the world 'round - I'll take Schettino any day.

No to mention Loret's penchant for making serious accusations, often about governors and deputies, and only rarely coming through with names. We get it - you "know things."

pc said...

He does come across as a TV guy who writes a column on the side. I get the same feeling from Joaquín López-Dóriga's columns, but maybe that's because I know they are TV guys. But then I dont get that from Ezra Shabot, and he has a TV show.

And I couldn't agree more about him offering too many allusions to bad stuff without any names or concrete info--all sizzle no steak!

pc said...

Although I should add that I agree with him here. He's always had Amlo's number.