Friday, July 10, 2009

Full Slate

We have lots of decent scraps on tap this weekend, starting with Vic Darchinyan versus Joseph Agbeko for a bantamweight title. I've never been enamored with Darchinyan as a fighter (though he's an all-time great as a trash-talker), and awkward bludgeoners always seem to have a hard time being effective when they move up in weight (think Ricardo Mayorga). I remain convinced that a smooth boxer with fast hands and pop will be more than Darchinyan, iced by just such a boxer in Nonito Donaire at 112, can handle at 118 pounds. However, I'm not sure Agbeko is that guy. I've only seen him once, but in that fight he went life or death against William González, who isn't in Darchinyan's league. I don't know, I'm flipping a coin. It's up... and it's tails! So which fighter is tails then? Screw it, I'm going with Agbeko by late knockout.

On the undercard, I like Antonio Demarco (a fighter to keep an eye on) by late knockout over Anges Adjaho, and Steve Cunningham over Wayne Brathwaite by knockout in a battle of former cruiserweight champs looking to get another crack at a belt.

The cruiserweight champ against whom they both want that crack is also in action: I like Tomasz Adamek by knockout over Bobby Gunn. In a featherweight title fight from Chiapas, I'll take Jorge Solís over Cristóbal Cruz by decision. In tonight's semi-main event (which should be the main event) on ESPN, I like Chris Henry by decision over Shaun George in a history-making battle of guys with first names for last names. And that's not the only trail-blazing matchup of surnames this weekend: in the first installement of N'Dou versus NDou, I'll take Lovemore over Phillip by decision.

No comments: