Friday, January 16, 2009

First Weekend

The first major network fights are here! Andre Berto squares off against Luis Collazo tomorrow night, and I can see either guy winning the fight. I have a feeling that whoever wins, it's going to seem obvious in retrospect. If Berto wins, it's going to be because he's so much more athletic and a heavier puncher; if it's Collazo, it's because he's much, much more experienced, and Berto, for all his flash, is not ready for prime time. I (sort of) like Berto's athleticism to carry him to a decision.

A couple of intriguing fights down the road were also announced this week: Marco Antonio Barrera versus Amir Khan, and James Kirkland versus Joel Julio. Khan could be dangerous for Barrera. The Mexican is naturally smaller, older, and he hasn't been a big puncher since he was at 126 pounds, so I don't think he'll be able to keep Khan off of him. Barrera's a better boxer, but I think Khan's athleticism will make this a really tough out for Barrera.

As far Kirkland and Julio, I have no clue.

No comments: