Monday, February 7, 2011

Creepy Story

Gatopardo has a compilation of interviews with female gunmen (gunwomen?) by Alejandro Almazán. It's by turns chilling and irritating, the former for obvious reasons, the latter for the degree to which the people in question seem to revel in their lives. For instance, this exchange:
"Let me ask you one more thing", I say and she accepts in exchange for a cigarette. "Do you hate Ciudad Juárez?"

"No", she responds. "It's my city and I love it."

"Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not a priest or an investigator and I don't want to write a self help book, but then why have you done so much to destroy it with the murders?"

Marta looks ashamed. She takes the cigarette to her mouth and holds the smoke in her lungs as though she were smoking marijuana.

"I hadn't stopped to think about that", she says when she lets the smoke out. "But between tears in my house or tears in theirs, better theirs."

"But a lot of people that have nothing to do with drugs are dying, a lot of innocent people."

"Here there are no innocents. All of the dead have done something."

No comments: