Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Young Voters and the PRI

Leo Zuckermann offers a couple of comparisons to explain the futility of scaremongering with regard to the PRI's return:
Saying that, if the PRI wins, it will be a return of the past, that the "new PRI" is the "old PRI", I don't think it will move the younger part of the electorate. In the best of cases, young people will imagine that country that has already left us. But they will have a hard time thinking that it will return just because the PRI returned to Los Pinos through the ballot box. No. Young people aren't stupid. Will they really believe, for example, that if the PRI wins the army will come out to repress and kill students because they are demonstrating? Or that we won't be able to see certain movies censored by the Interior Department?

Furthermore, the young voters will never understand thoroughly what the "old PRI" was for a basic reason: they didn't live it. I, no matter how many books I read about World War II, no matter how many movies I see or conversation I've seen with the survivors, haven't been able to quite understand that horrible era of totalitarianism in which people lived in terror. Fortunately, I have never felt what they did feel. And the same thing happens with young people today who never lived in the era of the authoritarian PRI. No matter what I tell them, they won't feel the same thing we felt: the same aversion of the regime that limited liberty and democracy.

Put another way: no matter how much I tell my kids about Maradona's greatness or how much time they spend watching his goals on YouTube, they will never feel the same vibration that I did when I saw the footballer scoring one of the best goals in history live at the 1986 World Cup.
Ha-ha kids, you don't know what it was like!! Anyway, in honor of Diego:

No comments: