Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How Much Football Does the Sports Guy Really Watch?

In his playoffs podcast (in the first section with Cousin Sal, at around 16:40), Bill Simmons says, "Teams have been able to run on the Jets all season...I do feel like you can pound the ball on the Jets. Many teams have."

That certainly doesn't square with my recollection of the handful of Jets games I've seen this year. And here's why: it's untrue. The Jets have the eighth best run defense in the NFL, and the fourth best on yards per carry. They allowed exactly one 100-yard rusher all season (Maurice Jones-Drew). They held the opponent's top rusher to under 50 yards seven times. That's a pretty solid run defense. And that's why I never win money if I bet on games after listening to the Simmons podcast.

No comments: