Wednesday, February 29, 2012

World's Worst Negotiator

I wonder what Jack Donaghy would think of Javi Martínez:

Athletic Bilbao starlet Javi Martinez insists that he is not worth the €40 million transfer fee that is being reported in the Spanish media.

Martinez, 23, is viewed as one of the brightest prospects in La Liga and has been tipped to make an impact on the international stage as well. Reports have suggested that Barcelona are keen to replace the ageing Seydou Keita with him in the summer, but the midfielder does not think he is worth the release clause in his contract.

"I do not think there's anyone who wants to pay so much for me," he told Mundo Deportivo. "I see it as too much money for me. I do not think I'm worth so much; I do not think that I'm worth €40m."

Though maybe it's an old Basque reverse psychological negotiating tactic.

Also, if Barça spends $40 million to replace Keita, a year after spending similar dough on Fábregas, after the emergence of Thiago Alcantará, with two world-class defensive midfielders already on the team, then I... I... I'll be shucked.

No comments: