Thursday, November 18, 2010

Peña Nieto on the Environment

Enrique Peña Nieto highlights five changes to Mexico's environmental policies: lowering carbon emissions, better management of the water supply, protecting Mexico's biodiversity, improving waste disposal, and greater participation in global environmental initiatives.

This piece is reflective of a Peña Nieto paradox. It strikes me as a piece that few, if any, of the other presidential possibilities would write. Like most of what I've read with Peña Nieto's byline, it's thoughtful and well written and forward thinking. At the same time, I'm not sure those are reflections of his virtues. Rather, the piece just means he has an adviser or two who has paid some attention to the issues mentioned above, and I don't get the sense that he could speak off the cuff with any depth about this. I'm not sure that distinction matters as far as how a Peña Nieto administration would make policy, but then again if the advisors I like are sidelined, there's no assurance that the man at the top will maintain the policies I like.

No comments: