Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Juárez Stuff

Janet Napolitano yesterday criticized the use of the army in Juárez saying that it "has not helped at all", which, though a defensible position as a matter of fact, must rankle Calderón. It demonstrably did rankle the NGO Citizens Council for Public Security and Criminal Justice, which rather fairly pointed out that the US wouldn't like to hear similar comments from Mexico on Afghanistan.

Also, the FBI is suggesting that the consulate murders might not be connected to the victims' ties to the US, and might be a total coincidence. This possibility actually occurred to me when I first read about the crime, although then I banished it from my brain and chided myself for being naive.

Lastly, the alleged intellectual author of the murder of the teenagers in Juárez on January 31 has been captured. He is the second-in-command of the La Linea.

No comments: