Monday, August 17, 2009

Bowden in Nexos

As some of you probably deduced from the title, Charles Bowden has a new piece profiling a hit man in Juárez in the Mexican magazine Nexos. I've only skimmed it thus far, but this quote leapt out at me:
I received orders from two people. They managed me. I never knew which cartel I worked for. In those days Vicente Carrillo was at war with El Chapo Guzmán. But I never met any boss, so when the war started in 2006, I didn't know who I was killing for. And the orders could be from one or the other. I lived in a cell and simply took orders. In Juárez 30 minutes are enough for 60 armed and trained guys to gather in 30 cars and drive out in the streets to show their power.

Later, we began to receive orders to kill people among our own group.
No one should ever accuse Mexico's drug problem of being simple.

No comments: