Friday, September 11, 2009

Medical Tourism in Mexico

The New Republic has a short feature on the burgeoning medical tourism industry. It mentions Hospitales Los Ángeles, where I've had the privilege (yes, privilege) to be treated a few times. The experience --a ten-minute wait before seeing a doctor; said doctor, rather than a nurse, being the primary liaison with the patient; consultation, bloodwork, and diagnosis for less than $40-- was so foreign to me, I felt like I'd died and gone to health-care heaven. In fact, I'd merely eaten a bad gordita and contracted typhoid.

The author's conclusion is that the growth of the industry is dependent on Mexico shaking its gangland image. I think she overstates that a bit, probably because her reporting comes from Tijuana and Juárez, and doesn't focus as much on Monterrey, which is both safer and, from what I've read, a more developed hub for medical tourism than the border towns.

No comments: