Friday, September 18, 2009

Likely to Pass

A trio of independent senators whose opposition would be vital to derailing Arturo Chávez Chávez's nomination as attorney general have announced that they will not stand in his way. The vote is scheduled for early next week, but this would seem to take a lot of the suspense out of the equation.

The stated reason for their acquiescence is that Chávez Chávez deserves the benefit of the doubt. I think it's worth repeating what I said a few days ago about how it's unclear what was his contribution to the flubbed investigations of the Juárez "femicide". If he was merely a cog in the investigative machine, I can see making that argument (though I'm not sure I agree with it). But if Chávez Chávez was a major reason for the investigation's incompetence, then it becomes a lot harder to grant him the benefit of the doubt. So which is it?

No comments: