Monday, May 26, 2008

Judging Salinas by His Cover


I picked up Carlos Salinas' new book this weekend, and I'll be shucked if this isn't the most uninspired cover I've ever seen. Not to be anal, but take a look at it. The central image isn't even a boring picture of the author (who, incidentally, is constitutionally incapable of looking boring), but the table of contents! This is the most eye-catching thing they could find? Other head scratchers: Why is "Lost Decade" in quotes if the book's central thesis is that the period in question actually was lost? You might say, because he's actually talking about eleven years, not ten. Not so fast, I would retort. If that were the case, it would read '"Década" Perdida,' not "'Década Perdida.'" In any event, no one writes about the Big "Ten" Conference. And that leads us to the final riddle: Why does he call it a decade if he's talking about a span of eleven years? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Must have been someone important's day off.

Not that the folks at Debate are the only ones capable of foolishness: I really wanted to post this, and for about 30 minutes I was freaking out about the impossibility of there being an image of the cover on flickr, while the entire time the book itself and my camera were separated by maybe seven inches.

No comments: