Monday, May 12, 2008

Champions!

In nine days, Manchester United and Chelsea go at it for the Champions League title. Gancho is rooting for the Blues for a number of reasons:

1) I can't stand Ronaldo, because he flops, he whines, and he reminds me of Tim Roth's character in Rob Roy.

2) Man U already took the EPL.

3) I like Chelsea, even though the owner is a Russian Steinbrenner and the Special One is gone.

4) At a wedding in Puebla last August, I was one of two native English-speaking men. The other was a Brit, who spent most of the reception cooing at a small baby he toted around with him. I instinctively resist talking to people in any situation like that, I guess because it's irritating that just because we're minorities we should have to hang out. Nevertheless, I found myself next to him at one point, and we began to chat. This I immediately regretted, as every sentence out of his mouth was accompanied by a half dozen globules of saliva. When we started talking about soccer, he lobbed a good deal of arrogance along with the spittle, and he was forceful on the point that Manchester with Tevez would be unstoppable. He all but guaranteed an EPL and Champions League title. There was no reason to even think about any other team, he moistly assured me. I desperately wanted him to be proven wrong, especially while my face was wet, but also later after toweling off.

So to hell with that guy and go Chelsea!

2 comments:

mattcorcoran1 said...

always tough to listen to the voice of reason when it's accompanied by a steady stream of spittle. game will be 2-1 to man u. first from ronaldo, drogba equalizes and tevez get the winner with a classic golazo from 25 yards out. vidic will be huge in defense.

Anonymous said...

hi, do you like mexican football?
if you like mexican football what is your favorite team..sorry if my english is so bad. i dont speak english :S