Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wired

I've been working my way through The Wire this summer, usually between the hours of 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. It's great (quite an original reaction, I know), but I think it would have been better without two conspicuous though tangential elements: the quote at the beginning of each show, and the montage at the end of each season.

Also, in the penultimate episode, the quote opening the show is, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." Unless I am mistaken, that is word for word the exact same thing Will Munny tells Little Bill right before discharging the contents of his shotgun into Bill's face. I can't decide if that was a coincidence or someone paying homage to Clint Eastwood (perhaps from Wire writer Dennis Lehane, whose novel Mystic River was the basis for the great Eastwood-directed film of the same name).

No comments: