Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Something Brewing in San Francisco

With Singletary prowling the sidelines and the mustache brigade on the field, there's a lot to love in San Francisco. Singletary's hiring and early performance were beaten up a bit by lots of writers --Jason Whitlock, Gregg Easterbrook, Bill Simmons (in a podcast, I think), all of whom I like-- so it's been nice to see him surprise folks. It's hard to see how they can go very far without an upgrade at quarterback, but given their weak division and the injuries they've dealt with, they could make some noise in '09. 

2 comments:

Stephen White said...

Did you see where they are going to announce next week that they are hiring Singletary for the long haul? I think it is a great move on mgmnts part and Singletary is going to right the ship.

pc said...

Yeah I hope that works out. I used to love Singletary when I was a kid. I'm still not sure about the personnel, and I worry a little because hard-nosed guys (Coughlin in Jax, Jm Haslett in N.O.) sometimes wear out their welcome all of a sudden, but I think Singletary's got the talent to make it work. Plus, I imagine it's easier to put up with a disciplinarian coach if you know he was a winner and a great player when he was playing. It's not the same seeing Haslett's face turn red with rage as it is seeing Singletary's eyes wide with anger.