Friday, September 12, 2008

Weekend Scraps

Two competing cards offer four mildly compelling bouts this weekend. Each of them has a fighter who I really hope will win, but I can't bring myself to pick either. Edner Cherry and Nate Campbell are similar in that they are both entertaining pros who have had their ups and downs, occassionally looking great, other times really average. Campbell finally broke through in a championship fight with a decision win over Juan Diaz last year, which made lots of boxing folks happy. He deserved the win, and Cherry does, too. Unfortunately, I doubt Cherry has enough to get by Timothy Bradley (though Bradley is still a virtual unknown; if Cherry is ever going to win a belt, this is the fight), and I also think Juan Guzmán will stink it out against Campbell, flicking just enough jabs to take the decision in a miserable fight.

In the other bouts, I like Sergio Mora to repeat his win over Vernon Forrest, and I think Juan Manuel Márquez gains a decisive decision victory over Joel Casamayor.

Gancho Boxing Inc is 10-4 in 2008 predictions.

No comments: