Saturday, September 20, 2008

UT-UF

For many years, the annual Florida-Tennessee battle was like a holiday that celebrated tension and dashed hopes. It was the anti-labor day. If I have an ulcer at 38, I'm blaming Jay Graham's butter-fingers (1995), Lawrence Wright on Joey Kent (also 1995), Manning's four first-half picks (1996 I think), the sweep call on fourth and two (1999), and a host of other awful moments. (If I don't, it's thanks to 20-17 in 1998.) It was like finding out your dog was hit by a car every third week in September.

The luster is almost all gone now, thanks in part to Spurrier taking off for the NFL, but mostly due to Tennessee turning into a third-tier non-power. The Gators visit Neyland today, the game is televised in Mexico, we're getting seven points at home, and I don't care nearly as much as I should. Apathy sucks; Fulmer must go.

No comments: