Friday, December 2, 2011

Cotto-Margarito II

Cotto's loss to Margarito was one of the greater disappointments of spectating life. That night, I also also came away with food poisoning and had an enormous fight with my then-girlfriend, so really I think it is in the running for one of the worst days of my entire life, at least in the "long-term triviality" category. Since then, however, my stomach has bounced back like a champ, and I married the woman who had me so agitated, which is to say, I have addressed two of the three traumas that ruined what should have been a fantastic summer night out on the town. One remains: Cotto needs to whoop up Tony Tornado this Saturday.

Here is what appears to be the most entertaining part from their press conference:
Miguel Cotto, with an elegant gray suit, waited his turn at the microphone and answered, "Take a dictionary and see what 'criminal' means, it's someone who uses a weapon to hard someone else and you with your illegal handwraps are a disgrace for the boxing world."
Also, Eric Raskin's meditation on boxing and violence captures my ambivalence as a fan quite nicely. It's really a fantastic piece.

No comments: