Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Remembering El Padrino

If you read Spanish, check out this article about murdered Tabasco radio journalist El Padrino Fonseca. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of depressing articles about dead journalists in Mexico these days, but I found Fonseca's story particularly poignant. It begins with him standing on a truck, trying to hang a banner across a busy Villahermosa boulevard to protest the insecurity wrought by drug gangs: 
The murderers arrived aboard two vehicles. From a blue Patriot SUV one man got out, holding a R-15 rifle in his right hand. 

"Get rid of those banners," he shouted. 

"Let me do my job," responded El Padrino, while maneuvering the rope of the banner he was trying to hang.

"Get down from there, motherfucker," insisted the man with the R-15, who was in his 30s, brown-skinned and short. 

"I already told you no, I'm not afraid of you," answered the newsman, now in front of his killer. 

The dialogue ended there. Only one shot was heard, the fatal one. 
I keep getting hung up on that line, "Let me do my job."

No comments: