Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Posturing

Were I the president of a nation, I imagine that one of the most irritating drawbacks would be the domestic adversaries using any and all interaction with foreign officials to argue that I'd kowtowed to their wishes. I'd create a secret office for dead fish shipping just to stink up the mailboxes of all the losers that made those sorts of comments, which would be great. Anyway, both Mexico and the US offered some version of that phenomenon following the Obama-Calderón visit this week: Sarah Palin, predictably, said that Obama tucked his tail between his legs for Calderón, which is an odd way of looking at Mexico's relations with the US. And south of the Rio Grande, Rosario Green --priísta senator, former foreign minister, and, I had thought, sensible person-- said that Calderón should declare Carlos Pascual persona non grata in Mexico, which would accomplish...I don't know, Senator, you tell me.

No comments: