Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Nails

Writing about the financial problems of athletes or former athletes always strikes me as a bit vindictive and gratuitous, especially when the subject, say, Lenny Dykstra, seems to suffer from delusions. Nonetheless, this ESPN article about the ex-Phillies and Mets center fielder has so many hilariously bizarre anecdotes that I am willing to ignore the unseemliness of it all, at least long enough to finish the article. For instance:

"He thought he could keep my $500,000 and nobody would have the resources to go after him," Dada says. "But in this case, I am going after him. General surgeons are not intimidated by professional athletes.

"Like I told him, if I can cut somebody from the neck all the way down to the pubis with a scalpel, then I cannot be intimidated."

And:

When race car driver Danica Patrick appears on a TV commercial, he pipes up, "I made her, man. Put her on the cover [of The Players Club] and made her."
And:
In a second-floor hallway leading to what used to be Gretzky and wife Janet Jones Gretzky's bedroom, Dykstra spots a bat -- the flying variety -- balled up in a corner where the high ceiling meets the wall. He ducks beneath it with his hands clasped on his head, playfully screeching.
And:
Inside the office elevator, Dykstra lifts his right leg like a dog relieving itself -- he retains a degree of the old flexibility -- and farts.
My oh my. Jim Cramer appears repeatedly as well.

2 comments:

misterlister said...

Nails and Wally Backman, the 1-2 punch that helped spark the Amazin's to glory in 1986. Last I heard Backman was some sort of wife beater, and now Nails is [unsurprisingly] going down in a pile of flames. These guys, combined with the likes of Doc Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, El Sid Fernandez, Keith Hernandez, and the list goes on, were QUITE the cast of characters. Gotta love baseball.

pc said...

That must have been one hell of a locker room. Just insane. Hardly enough attention to go around, even when they were winning the world series.